Thursday, February 21, 2019

Kids are still mean

So right on the heels (no pun intended) of pushing myself to want to go out in public dressed, I saw a facebook posting from my wife's ex-coworker who decided to do drag as a full time career a few years ago.  This was her post:

I was sitting in the front of our car in my sparkly pink and purple costume... And big blonde hair as l usually don't do but it had been a long day and while others wear a different uniform when they get off work mine happens to be a bit more flamboyant... Because of my line of work...Two younger kids at 1:30 in the morning happen to see me as a target to mock and make fun of. They threw a snowball at my car and called me a freak, they yelled things at me that became reminiscent of when l was 12 years old in school... Words like faggot and freak... I froze in disbelief and fear...
My husband immediately got out of the car and defended me and told them to leave me alone... The gas station staff also immediately defended me as well...
But that feeling of fear and less than a human immediately came back no matter who was defending me just couldn't stop that feeling....
I immediately burst into tears... You never know what is going to affect you the way it does.
They threw two more snowballs at my side of the car but they might as well been hot coals... As they yelled again "you fucking faggot freak!!"It was idiotic it was just snowballs and hurtful words... But it hurt my heart that this still happens....
Parents please teach your children to.be respectful to all living human beings...I was just a simple man almost 40 Years old finishing my night of work... I didn't deserve to be treated so disrespectful.

Now granted, drag queens are over the top femme (and more recognizable as not fitting the norm), but still.  I can't imagine having an experience like that.  I do have reservations about the kids in my neighborhood.  I get along with like one of them, the rest are jerks like screaming at the top of their lungs, leaving trash everywhere (at one point one of them decided it was fun to smash a glass bottle in the street directly in front of my house) and the mother scolded him and felt embarrassed her son was a jerk.  I suppose if I do start dressing more to the point where I might be going outside my neighborhood, I just hope I'm not recognized and if I am, that they aren't mean like that situation.x

No comments:

Post a Comment