Sunday, April 29, 2018

baby steps part 2

So I decided to push my luck yesterday and go to the local grocery store.  This was definitely a different experience because I was surrounded by people.  I hid my hands in my coat on the way in, then grabbed a cart and hugged the sides so really only my thumbs were showing.  I couldn't hide my nails when I went to grab things to put in my cart.  I was in there for probably a good 20 minutes grabbing things, starting to feel more comfortable.  Then it was time to checkout.  For sure I would be exposing my hands as I loaded things onto the conveyor.  Don't think anyone really noticed as the cashier was focused on the customers ahead of me.  Then more customers came up behind me, it was a large spanish family that was pretty pushy about checking out.  I don't think it was just because I was hyper focused either.  Just then I saw a coworker walk by the checkouts in the corner of my eye.  This is probably everyone's nightmare, especially in my case.  If I was fully dressed, it's fully possible someone wouldn't recognize me at all.  Being my male self with long nails, completely different situation.  I didn't make eye contact so he didn't see me.  I was almost thankful things timed out the way they did.  If that family wasn't behind me, he could have easily decided to come to the same checkout.  Weird thing is he's the last person I'd expect to run into.  He used to live in the area, but he moved to another town which means going to this store wouldn't be anywhere nearly convenient.  Wonder if he was visiting friends in the area.

1 comment: